Widows Sons Web Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion (Public) > Main Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better man." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Non-Member
Non-Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jallen70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Question
    Posted: September/02/11 at 7:33am
Brothers,

After a Stated Communication, a couple Brothers were discussing the Widows Sons when a 3rd chimed in. I'll admit, this question is something I never thought of or looked into. He said that the Widows Sons were not recognized by the Grand Lodge, thus making us Clandestine Masons. What is the reality of the case? I don't think this would be an opinion, but a black and white answer. For all the good various Masonic organizations can do, to be labeled clandestine because the Grand Lodge does not recognize you, similar to Prince Hall, doesn't seem right. Your input is appreciated.
Selous View Drop Down
Muzzled
Muzzled

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Selous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/02/11 at 9:51am
To be a group of Masons and meet up for the good of the local community, does that have to be reconised? 
No of course not, however Masonic protocol, or politeness, states you should 'inform' you GM you are starting or joining a Bunch of Brethren to do XY & Z.

If the WSMBA has NO intention of becoming a side Degree or appended body, (we do not), then there is in realty no problems so long as nothing that could bring Masonry into disrepute.

TBH so long as No Masonic Ritual is being carried out, (which it is not), then there is nothing to stop you meeting up.

You could liken it to you and a few mates meet once a month play cards have a few beers. would you tell IRS - no of course not

hope that helps        

Only a Motorcyclist knows why a dog sticks his head out of the car window
Selous Prez 16084 Chap UK www.16084widowssons.org.uk
pipinglion View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pipinglion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/02/11 at 10:17am
Bro. jallen70

Of course, anything anyone tells you is only their opinion, but here is mine.

It's really a sort of Catch 22. If you are organized as a group and call yourself a Masonic Riding Association, at least in here Oregon without recognition, you are clandestine. Without being an organized body, how do you apply for recognition?

When the founding members of the Oregon Grand Chapter first applied to the Grand Lodge for recognition, the Elvira patch was what was used. It didn't fly well with Grand Lodge as they felt it didn't properly represent Masonry. When we changed to the winged pyramid patch and explained the purpose of the Widows Sons, the legislation to grant recognition was passed at the Grand Lodge session in 2009. Yes, we had to go through the whole Grand Lodge legislation process which can take the better part of a year or longer if you don't have all the i's dotted and t's crossed exactly how the jurisprudence committee wants it.

That said, your founding group are all still Master Masons in good standing I'm assuming, and nothing says you can't meet as a group and ride together and share Masonic fellowship. Until you have the recognition of your Grand Lodge, just be careful how you show yourselves as a group. We couldn't wear our patches until we were granted recognition.

I know this subject is a sore one with some here on this forum and they say to hell with trying to get Grand Lodge recognition. In some jurisdictions, their Grand Lodges put so many requirements on them such as would apply to any other appendent body, that it makes it not worth the effort. For us here in Oregon, we didn't want to risk our status as Masons in good stading for being perceived as a clandestine body so it was worth the effort. In fact, tomorrow I will be presenting our Grand Master his vest as an honorary Widows Son at our annual district picnic. For me, that will have made the effort worth while. Good luck my brother.

My two cents worth.
Roland Kari

Oregon Grand Chapter President

Past Master,Medford Lodge #103
T-Rex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T-Rex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/02/11 at 7:47pm
Brother Jallen70,
Are you in Pinellas Park in Florida?
SAM DAVIS #661 SMYRNA TN. TRES.
Tampa Bay Lodge 252 FL.
Egypt Shrine Temple Tampa FL.
WS Hiram's Wheels,Tampa FL.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic