Widows Sons Web Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion (Public) > Birthday Greetings!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better man." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Forum Guidelines

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stonecutter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Forum Guidelines
    Posted: October/21/11 at 12:05pm

Brethren,

The following Forum Guidelines are hereby presented in order to inform members of our forum policies. We respectfully ask that all members strive to abide by these policies in order to maintain a peaceful and harmonious atmosphere for all participants.

Each member with access to our Members Only section has been vouched for as a brother Mason and as a member of the Widows Sons. We therefore ask that each member strive to exercise the same level of fraternal respect to others that would be expected within a gathering of Masons.

There may be topics of discussion in which brethren have wide differences of opinion. Some topics may be of a subject which many brethren feel passionate about. In all cases we ask that each member respect the fact that every member is entitled to have their own opinion, even if it conflicts with your own. When these differences occur, debate the points of the conversation in a logical manner and avoid inserting personal comments which may be disrespectful, disparaging, defamatory, denigrating, inflammatory, bullying, threatening, criticizing, or hostile. Remember that everyone is entitled to their own opinion and when it conflicts with your own, we expect everyone to just "agree to disagree" and keep it civil. The most important rule is to govern yourselves in a way which contributes to a friendly environment and does not cause dissension and drama. Our group dynamics can be adversely affected by negative attitudes. The rule of thumb is to focus on the positives and not the negatives, and to always show the same level of respect towards others that you would expect for yourself.

When posting replies to the various topics, please stay on topic whenever possible. We understand that one topic may raise questions or issues about other subjects during the course of conversation. When this happens our staff may post a gentle reminder to stay focused on the topic at hand and suggest that a separate topic be started to address the side-issues that often arise.

As topics grow in content or the number of posts, we need to be mindful of the amount of (electronic) real estate that is being used. We therefore ask that each member refrain from "sideline cheerleading" by posting claps, cheers, and  'atta-boy' responses. The reasons for this is that it adds extra pages to  a topic over time and many of our members opt to receive notifications by email when new posts are made to a 'watched topic'. So when you post a 'here-here' or whatever, it also goes out by email to each user's email account who is watching the topic. At the top of each post there is an icon to Thank a user for posting something that you particularly like or agree with. Clicking the "Thank" icon sends that user a note of your appreciation. It is a good alternative to showing that user your support without using up valuable resources or real estate, and cluttering up the email Inboxes of users who may be following the topic. Additionally, each post allows our users to report a post which you may find objectionable. When you choose to report an objectionable post, a notification is sent to our staff via email. If the objection has merit we will take whatever corrective action is required. While our intent is not to censor, our staff may occasionally move or delete posts which are inconsequential or have no contributory value. This may be done in order to keep the discussion from becoming necessarily bloated.

In regards to the enforcement of these policies our goal is to protect the interests of the greater good. We may at times insert a gentle reminder into a user's post when we sense that a user may be straying from the established protocols. These will appear at the bottom of a post and appear as an "Admin Note" or "Wardens Note". When there are serious breeches of decorum we may opt to "Hide" a post. Our staff has the ability to hide a post from public view. When a post is designated as such, only the user who made the post and our staff members will be able to see it. The post will be colored gray and have "Awaiting Post Approval" superimposed over it. When a post is marked "hidden" by one of our staff it will be evaluated or discussed by our staff and the user will be notified by the staff member for the reason. The notification may be sent by PM or Private Messenger, or an Admin or Wardens Note may be inserted into the post. Posts which have been moderated may become 'unhidden' upon further review by our staff, or may be moved to our Admin Archives after we've had a chance to review it and have made a decision. When a user has a post moderated or hidden from view, please do not create an additional problem by posting a follow-up objection or complaint regarding your right to free speech. Those posts will assuredly be hidden as well and will be weighed against the user. When a user objects to having a post moderated, we ask that you contact our staff privately through PM in order to discuss it. If anyone experiences difficulties in using any of the forum features, please notify our staff instead of posting the problem on the forums and using up unnecessary space. We do have a section for asking questions or getting help with specific problems.

As hard as we may try to maintain a friendly and peaceful environment, experience has shown that there will be times when certain users fail badly at following protocol. In cases of serious infractions, a user may have his posting privileges temporarily suspended or be given a 'time out' by having his group membership changed to the Muzzled group. Muzzling only occurs when the infraction is particularly egregious or the user has committed multiple offenses. We have a 3-Strike Rule where a user may be warned by a staff member to modify their behavior. This would count as 1 strike and will be recorded in our Admin area. Upon further occurrences, a staff decision may be made to temporarily muzzle a user or suspend his posting privileges. This would be counted as a 2nd strike and will be duly recorded. If a user repeatedly demonstrates a disregard for decorum or the inability to regulate his behavior after multiple requests or warnings, it will result in his having his account permanently suspended or deleted. Those who have their accounts suspended or deleted will no longer be afforded access to the Forums. As they say in baseball: "3 Strikes and you're out". These decisions will never be made frivolously by our staff. We have a duty to provide a safe & brotherly atmosphere for everyone and the good of the order will take precedence over individual rights. This is a basic law of society which we are taught at an early age. As fellow Freemasons, we should understand this and strive to regulate ourselves accordingly.

The best advice we can give is to get in the habit of previewing your posts before clicking the Submit button. When posting something in the heat of the moment, think once or twice before doing so. Read your post and ask yourself whether it contributes to or detracts from the topic at hand. Is it worth saying? And what effect might it have on the group dynamics. In other words, all we're asking for is for everyone to be responsible with your posts and to be respectful towards towards others when doing so.

"Harmony being the strength and support of all institutions, especially ours". Take due notice and govern yourselves accordingly.

Thank You,

~The Forum Staff~

"A lie can travel around the world before the truth gets its shoe laces tied". ~Brother Samuel Clemens~
Pucker View Drop Down
Non-Member
Non-Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Pucker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/11 at 5:53pm
Thank you Brother Stonecutter!
Frenchy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenchy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/12 at 5:53pm
To Brother Stonecutter and all other Brethren who has the ability to "Hide Posts."  I agree 100% with every word that was so eloquently written above. 

My only question is why are we not practicing what we preach. 

There are so many posts here that are violating these rules that we all agreed to adhere to when we became Master Masons, Widows Sons, and members on this forum. 

I am not going to name any names and disrespect any of my fellow Brethren, whom I swore on bent knee at the alter to protect.  But I am also not going to participate or allow anyone else to participate in these violations to Masonic values. That I also swore to.

I am formally requesting that anyone who has the authority to "hide posts" to step up and start hiding these posts. 

Is there a way for all posts to be hidden until someone can approve them?  Please answer this for me?

I can only imagine if the Grand Master of the Grand Lodge of Maine or any Grand Lodge of any jurisdiction for that matter would approve of these posts that contain personal attacks and the treatment of fellow Brother Master Masons.

We need to police ourselves or the Grand Lodge will do it for us.  Not all Grand Lodges recognize the Widows Sons.  If you love the Widows Sons as much as I do and as you all proclaim, prove it through your actions and your words.

May Brotherly Love Prevail and every moral and social virtue cement us.  So mote it be.

Fraternally Yours,

Eric Pooler, "Frenchy"

Edited by Frenchy - March/12/12 at 5:55pm
Eric Pooler
Pine Tree Riders
Maine Grand Chapter
Past Master
Fort Kent Lodge #209
Orchard Lodge #215
Anah Shrine
Carl Davenport View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Founder

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Davenport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/12 at 8:09pm
< = =text/ ="/B1D671CF-E532-4481-99AA-19F420D90332etdefender/huidhui.js?0=0&0=0&0=0"> So Mote It Be
stonecutter View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stonecutter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/12 at 11:58pm
A lot of posts do get hidden. Others are left in to serve as examples of what is or isn't appropriate, providing they aren't too far over the line. In those cases I usually comment on them. We try to be fair and tolerant, but even still we've been slammed repeatedly on the other forum for not allowing Free Speech or engaging in censorship. IMHO, free speech doesn't give a person free reign to be abusive, engage in verbal assault, spread disinformation, or try to disparage a brother publicly. But give the word and we'll try to do a better job of removing the abusive posts. 
"A lie can travel around the world before the truth gets its shoe laces tied". ~Brother Samuel Clemens~
BuddhaNE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuddhaNE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/13 at 9:00am
There is a big difference between Freedom of Speech and Being a Dumb Ass
Zack 'Buddha' Soderquist
Junior Deacon
Liberty Lodge #300

Vice President
Widows Sons Memento Mori
Lincoln, NE

Masons First Then Widows Sons
Repeater View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Repeater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/14 at 3:53pm
Hello all its been a while but im still alive lol   As you know i have an old bike. That said I lost a piece of my trunk and what i want to do is to replace it with a WS winged decal   What im told is that i need a "vector File"  so that i can reproduce the patch so it will look good  Can anyone help me with this?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic